Great article on the architecture of a positioning statement using Harley Davidson as an example: Positioning statements and taglines: Crafting the foundation of your brand strategy.
- What: The only [category]
- How: that [differentiation characteristic]
- Who: for [customer]
- Where: in [geographic location]
- Why: who [need state]
- When: during [underlying trend]
Example – Harley Davidson used this to determine their positioning statement, which is:
- The only motorcycle manufacturer
- That makes big, loud motorcycles
- For macho guys (and “macho wannabes”)
- Mostly in the United States
- Who want to join a gang of cowboys
- In an era of decreasing personal freedom.