The internet of everything and anything will make our existing cloud based internet look trivial! We haven’t even begun to imagine! What VUCA will it create in your business?
Read an interview with Cisco’s John Chambers, from which the headlines are:
- “The world has now entered a digital era that will be the biggest technology transition ever.”
- “If you’re a leader in today’s world, whether you’re a government leader or a business leader, you have to focus on the fact that this is the biggest technology transition ever. This digital era will dwarf what’s occurred in the information era and the value of the Internet today. As leaders, if you don’t transform and use this technology differently—if you don’t reinvent yourself, change your organization structure; if you don’t talk about speed of innovation—you’re going to get disrupted. And it’ll be a brutal disruption, where the majority of companies will not exist in a meaningful way 10 to 15 years from now.”
- “Probably 40 percent of enterprise customers around the world will not exist in a meaningful way ten years from now.”
- “The hard part is how do you change your organization structure? How do you change your culture to be able to think in terms of outcomes for your customers? It’s all about speed of innovation and changing the way you do business. The majority of companies will be digital within five years, yet the majority of their digital efforts will fail, which speaks to what a CEO has to do differently”
- “She or he has to think much more outside the box. They have to reinvent themselves. They have to reinvent their company. Not stay doing the right thing too long, if you will. That’s what got companies in trouble in the past. But the rate of change then was much slower. Today, you’re talking about digitization being an integral part of the fabric of a company’s business strategy or the way it interfaces its supply chain with its customers. Not enabled by technology—technology will become the company”..
See the video below for an explanation of the “Internet of Things”
The blog posting also appears at The Strategic Agility Institute. Are you experiencing accelerating VUCA (Volatility, Uncertainty, Complexity, Ambiguity), increasingly testing your agility as an enterprise, a team and a leader? You are not alone. Join our collaborative effort to understand emerging VUCA and respond with the agility required.